Primary School Swimming & Water Safety
Swimming Waikato are delighted to be working closely with Sport Waikato to help provide Learn to Swim & Water Safety (LTS & WS) support to schools in the Waikato. This Award Winning LTS & WS initiative would not be possible without the support of Sport New Zealand’s Tu Manawa funding, administered by Sport Waikato, as well as funding support from WEL Energy Trust and NZ Lottery Grants Board.
Our initiative is aimed at supporting the in-school delivery of swimming and water safety for low-decile primary schools, a project we hope that will eventually reach throughout the Waikato.
At Swimming Waikato, we work to inspire participation, to progress competitive swimming and to deliver leadership on behalf of our communities. Our vision to Get Waikato Swimming, is a hugely collaborative effort alongside our army of volunteers, coaches, teachers and our family of supporters and stakeholders.
Through the delivery of initiatives and development opportunities, we are making giant leaps in the development of over 2,700 members, as they stride towards their individual swimming goals.
We want to go one step further, by establishing an initiative that could potentially reach further into our communities and provide greater access to quality learn to swim and water safety opportunities.
School Swimming – How to Book
School Support FAQ’s
– What schools can apply for LTS & WS support? Swimming Waikato’s current funding support is aimed at supporting the delivery of LTS & WS in Primary Schools Decile 1-5 in Hamilton. It is our intention to widen this support throughout the Waikato once available resources are acquired. We are delighted to inform that all schools involved in our Get Waikato Swimming program will be provided a full school set of Arena Junior Goggles for their own use, (subject to availability). Goggles are a great tool to build confidence in water, especially at an early age. We hope that all schools enjoy their own handy set and that this ensures no child goes without!
– What support is available?
- Professional Development workshops with teachers at time to suit school and teacher’s needs (after school, during staff meetings, teacher only days
- Connecting your school to other water safety partners and programmes
- On-site poolside support
- Introduction to the Water Skill for Life competencies, an opportunity to watch modelling of class management, assessments and lesson delivery,
- Opportunities to ask for and gain support with specific learn to swim and water safety progressions,
- How to run sessions with children of varied abilities,
- How to identify common swimming faults and how to correct them,
- How to make swimming time fun while still improving the skill level of students.
– What does it cost? All LTS & WS support has been supported via Sport New Zealand’s Tu Manawa fund and distributed by Sport Waikato, therefore there is no charge for the school.
– Can transport costs be covered? Support for transport may be covered, however this will be based on individual application and available funding
– What curriculum will be used? We will be utilising the Water Skills for Life programme from Water Safety New Zealand. Water Skills for Life is the national standard for aquatic education in New Zealand primary schools. It is linked into the national education curriculum and gives children the skills and knowledge they need to assess risk and make smart decisions around water.
Who will be delivering the lessons? Our Facilitators will be working closely with the class teachers at each primary school to ensure LTS & WS delivery upskilling.
What will be the duration of support at each school? This will depend on the availability of our Educators as well as available funding and school swimming schedule. We will be aiming to facilitate five consecutive days worth of lesson support per term.
We currently have support via Swimming New Zealand, will this be affected? Swimming Waikato is a proud affiliate of Swimming New Zealand and will be working closely on increasing LTS & WS support for the region. If a school currently utilises the support of Swimming New Zealand for lesson support, you may continue to utilise this support, however this may have an effect on available support from Swimming Waikato.
How can a school sign-up or learn more about available LTS & WS support? Simply by emailing emailing us at [email protected]
Our Key (LTS & WS) Goals
To increase swimming participation and water safety education at community level for a long lasting, safer and healthier Waikato
- To save the lives of those most vulnerable in and around water
- To improve the access to and the quality of LTS & WS opportunities for primary school pupils
- Enhance the quality of swimming experiences for participants specifically through the development of effective professional development opportunities of teachers
- Growing awareness of the multiple benefits of swimming (physical and mental wellbeing)
- To reaffirm the connection and relationship between local primary schools and swimming clubs
- Development of swimming & water safety in schools
- Supporting the delivery of swimming and water safety for primary school pupils throughout the Waikato
- Facilitate and promote professional development and mentoring for teachers in swimming education
- Delivery of Swimming New Zealand teacher qualifications for teachers
- Provide schoolteachers with ongoing support and mentoring
Sport Waikato Office
Brian Perry Sports House
Wintec Rotokauri Campus
51 Akoranga Road, Hamilton 3200
PO Box 46, Hamilton 3240
(+64) 27 776 6684
Phone Hours 9am - 3pm